My carier began as a street entertainer in New Orleans, where street jazz performers were part of French Quarters for decades . It is less common in other cities and because my family moved around a lot I was looking for places to perform . And this is how I found my first employer, or how my first employer found me.
My First Job:
I was setting up my music stand and saxophone at the German Festival in Tomball when woman dressed in a Christmas tree costume approached me. She listen to me for a while and then asked me questions like, how old I was, what I could play, and if she could hire me to perform with her. Before I could shake my head yes or no, I was on stage with her and her band performing for the very first time. Since that day in 2012, I have been performing with Das Ist Lustig.
2012 – Present: Das Ist Lustig
For the first couple of years I mainly played my saxophone and clarinet. I even learned how to play the cow bells. Once I became more comfortable on stage and interacting with the audience, I was promoted to EMCEE (Master of Ceremony) and audience participation specialist.
I announced different bands and even hosted contests when I was off the stage.
When performing I would run into the audience and bring people to the dance and have fun
It taught me valuable skills in audience management and stage presence. After a few years of this I started receiving offers from other organizations to host their events.
Here are some of my performances with Das Ist Lustig:
- October Fest Fort Worth September 2018
- Angel of Joy Lutheran Church Oktoberfest in Lufkin 2013, 2014
- Faith Lutheran Church Oktoberfest in Huntsville, Tx 2013, 2014, 2015
- Galveston Oktoberfest, Galveston Island Tx 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018
- Memorial City Gateway Square Oktoberfest , Houston TX 2015, 2017
- St. Johns Lutheran Germanfest in Deanville, TX 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Tomball’s German Heritage Festival in Tombal TX 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019
- Tomball’s German Christmas Market in Tomball TX 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018
- Wurstfest in New Braunfels, TX 2015, 2016, 2017
- Houston Museum of Natural Science “World Trekkers Germany”, Houston, TX 2018
- St. Arnold’s Brewery 2018
My MC Career:
Because of my work with Das Ist Lustig, I was approached by several organizations to host events and concerts.
2014 and 2015: MC and Performer
Sunrise International Dance Company to EMCEE for their show at Hobby Center in Houston TX – “Snow Queen Frozen Journey”. I edited and wrote a lot of the script myself.
I practiced for weeks with the dancers for timing and stage position.I was also performing with my saxophone on this show also.
We got really lucky and this event was featured on Channel 13 News.
2017: MC and Performer (Lion King)
The same company asked me to lead their second production of Lion King . It was held at the TBS Center. (Houston, Texas)
2017: MC (Houston Young Artists Concerts)
I was approached by the HYAC to EMCEE for there music recital. It was held at the Main Street Theater (Houston, Texas).
May 2016: Higman Marine
I did a week internship at their main office. I worked as a receptionist at the front desk. I signed for packages, filed paperwork, and answered the phone. I was also part of the creative team for the marine news article that the company wrote every month. I was part of the creative process and wrote two of the articles in the magazine. I assisted the vice president in the interviews for interns for deckhand positions on the boats. I was able to ask questions and to give my input on likely candidates.